Friday, November 26, 2010

Food for thoughts


Winter is here and with it comes woodstoves and simmering new recipes !! Homemade chicken soup and fresh bread are a must and so after a fresh chicken supper the bones go on to simmer. We can enjoy a fresh hot bowl of warm soup for our bones and mind !! My menonite neighbor says ALWAYS add a anise star spice to chicken broth. It is great for the immune system as well as tastey . God did say, there is a herb for every illness !! How wise He is .

Yesterday I tried a new healthy square , Quinoa-Peanut Butter Granola Bars . Hope you like my new cookie tins too !! It is always fun to add some more colour to your kitchen ! The square isn't even eaten yet and Thomas is saying I should make some more AND post the recipe on my blog. I am blessed !!
You can also see our dried rosehips in jar. Whenever we go walking or the kids are in the woods, we fill our pockets with the gems in Sept or October. You should pick them after the first frost, dry them in wicker baskets and then you have an abundance of vitamin C for the winter. We make a pot of simmering tea and honey whenever someone thinks they are getting sick. You have to drink the whole pot !! After a trip to the healthfood store the other day, I know why we need to pick the fruits of a harvest. It is not only wise and better for you , but cheaper !!
I am making fresh bread later and getting ready for a restful week end....by the fire !

No comments:

Post a Comment